Living Well: Financial, Career and Home Success
Recognizing that safe affordable housing and economic stability are essential to building healthy families and healthy communities, Desert Mission created the Living Well program. This program addresses common barriers to achieving total well-being and economic success including employment and career services, one-on-one financial coaching, housing education and minor home repair services.
Desert Mission helps individuals develop financial management strategies including:
- Increasing savings and assets.
- Creating a household budget.
- Establishing a checking or savings account.
- Credit building.
Career and employment services
Through a partnership with local non-profit St. Joseph the Worker, we provide training and resources to help individuals achieve self-sufficiency through quality employment.
Those seeking employment assistance benefit from the following services:
- Job Readiness: Resume writing, mock interviews, and personal presentation and communication tips.
- Employment Support: Reduced monthly bus passes to ensure transportation, financial assistance to pay for work uniforms or shoes, help securing certification or license fees.
- Career Advancement: Assisting individuals in low-wage or part-time employment to secure a higher paying job.
Homebuyer counseling and education classes
Desert Mission, as a HUD-approved housing counseling agency, provides community members one-on-one counseling and education classes on various aspects of home buying and ownership. Services include:
- Monthly HUD homebuyer education classes.
- Credit reviews to assess income stability, cash flow and assets.
- Loan eligibility and application assistance.
- Pre-mortgage lender appointments.
- Mortgage payment calculations that take into account income and spending habits.
Minor home repair
Supported by charitable contributions, Desert Mission helps outfit homes with necessary equipment to ensure that elderly individuals or those with disabilities can live and function safely in their homes. This includes installing homes with grab bars, wheelchair ramps and security items such as window and door locks.
For more information, including eligibility, call 602-331-5833.
Locations and hours
Located on the campus of John C. Lincoln Medical Center
9229 N. Fourth St.
Phoenix, AZ 85020 (Directions)
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Wednesday
8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Friday